Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Preface...

It's a milestone that, unquestionably, almost every child looks forward to: turning 21. And for my daughter that day was July 8, 2010. Brittany called me at my home in Florida that morning. "Momma! I got my new drivers license! I'm legal!" The smile I heard in her voice was priceless. "I'll see you in a few hours! I love you, Momma!" Those were the last words my little girl ever spoke to me.

We had been counting down the days for over a month, both impatiently waiting for "the day" to finally arrive...and arrive it did...even though now I wish it hadn't, because the memories we were planning to make have turned into a hopeless, haunting nightmare.

Yes, the day we had circled on the calendar for weeks was finally here. Brittany and her boyfriend, Chason were heading to the Indianapolis Airport. Destination: Panama City Beach! I, in addition to my husband Brett and our son Bryson were living there at the time. The arrival details were set: bright pink poster board with "Happy 21st Birthday Brittany" written in glitter (check), fresh flowers (check), an embarrassingly huge bouquet of balloons (check). The only thing left was waiting for the 8:30pm flight to arrive...a flight that ultimately did arrive on time...minus two passengers: Brittany and Chason.

The accident that changed all our lives forever had already happened. I just didn't know it yet...



   

No comments:

Post a Comment