Thursday, January 27, 2011

Guardian Angel

July 8, 2010 Continued…
His name is Cory, an extraordinary young man who happened upon the accident just moments after impact. Let me retract that. Cory didn’t just “happen” upon the accident. I believe with all of my heart…and no one will ever convince me otherwise…that God placed Cory at that exact location, at that exact time, for one reason and one reason only…to save my little girl. He was her Guardian Angel.
Cory pulled off the interstate and ran to their car. The driver of the semi that smashed into them just stood there and watched, not even attempting to help. I’ll never understand that. Cory reached the car and saw the devastation. At first, he didn’t see a passenger in the back seat until he noticed a head of hair (Brittany has LOTS of hair like her mother). Because of the magnitude of the crash, he was unable to access Brittany through the back doors. Instead, without a second thought about his own safety, Cory kicked off his flip flops and crawled through the mangled glass of the back windshield, slicing his foot open in the process. He called out to her and she moved…just a slight wiggle of her left pinkie...but she heard him. She wasn't alone. He reached over and detected a faint pulse. My baby was still alive...but bleeding badly from the right side of her head. Cory crawled back through the wreckage…ran to his car…and grabbed a towel. He then climbed back to Brittany and applied pressure to her head until paramedics arrived. I later learned that if it hadn’t been for Cory’s brave and selfless actions, my daughter would have died in that car, on that day, and I never would have been able to say goodbye. Yes, Cory was Brittany’s Guardian Angel. Period. Shortly thereafter, Brittany was airlifted to Carle Foundation Hospital in Champaign where she continued to fight for her life…or at least fight long enough for her momma to reach her…to hold her.
You see, I was still 14 hours away in Florida trying frantically to find the quickest way back to Illinois and I had already missed the last flight out of Panama City Beach. My only other airport alternative was Atlanta, and there was no way I’d make it there in time to catch their last flight out. That left just one other option…driving. We packed nothing and left. It was 5:00pm on Thursday, July 8, 2010...5 hours since her accident. My need to reach her was more than emotional...it was physical. I ached deeper than I ever have. I couldn't breathe...
All I could do was drive...and wait...and pray...

1 comment:

  1. Your story is both heartwrenching and beautiful. It shows the amazing strength of a mother's love. Also, the power of a daughter's love for her mother which allows her to hold on to life a little longer to spend a little more time with her mother before she crosses over.

    ReplyDelete