Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Accident

July 8, 2010 Continued...

I had an overwhelming need to hear Brittany's voice, even though I had just spoken to her a few hours earlier. Looking back, I understand that need now. Something didn't feel right.

I was hoping to catch her before their flight took off from Indianapolis, bound for Panama City Beach. I was fully expecting the call to go straight to voicemail...after all, cell phones are supposed to be turned off. To my surprise however, it rang...and rang...and rang...and rang...then went to voicemail. Leave it to my daughter not to follow airline protocol! Regardless, I was so happy her phone was still on, anxious to hear "Hey momma!" I was strangely unsettled, though because she didn't answer.

"Hey, it's Brittany. Leave me a message and I'll call you back!" she said in her energetic, carefree voice. I left a message.
"Hey sweetie! I can't wait to see you in a few hours. Have a safe flight. I love you!" She never got the message.

I made that call shortly after 3:00pm. Just minutes later, my phone rang. The caller ID showed it was from the Vermilion County Police Department (VCPD). My heart stopped. I answered.

VCPD: "We're trying to reach April Schuette."
Me: "This is she" I replied.
VCPD: "Mrs. Schuette, do you have a daughter?" I wanted to vomit. I knew something was wrong. "Yes, her name is Brittany Pritts. What's happened?"
VCPD: "Please hang on. I need to get my supervisor." (Right! Like hell I'd wait!)
Me: "NO! You need to tell me what's wrong! Is she OK?"
VCPD: "Mrs. Schuette, there's been an accident."
Me: "IS SHE OK?!"
VCPD: "No, Ma'am. She's been badly injured."

The moments following that are a blur. I remember collapsing on my living room floor screaming. My husband, Brett, ran to my side, knowing something was terribly wrong, but I was screaming and crying too hysterically to speak. He took the phone and calmly listened to the details the police department provided him. To this day, I have no idea how he kept his composure. He was amazing.

According to the police report, it had been raining when the accident occurred shortly after 12:00pm. The car Brittany was riding in crossed over the East bound lanes of I-74 near Danville, IL and collided head on with a semi traveling West bound. Brittany was in the back passenger seat while her boyfriend, Chason, sat up front with his father, Mark, who was driving. Heartbreakingly, Mark and Chason were killed instantly. My little girl clung to life in the back seat. 

Her Guardian Angel was just steps away...

No comments:

Post a Comment