Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Memory

~Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
love leaves a memory no one can steal~

Today is Easter. But instead of recognizing and celebrating the true meaning of this holiday, I am consumed with sadness once more...and memories of past Easter mornings when Brittany was a little girl...waking up with sparkling, sleepy blue eyes and a head full of blonde tousled hair falling around her beautiful face.

My absolute favorite Easter morning Brittany and I shared was when she was 5 years old. As do most children, she had been begging me for a puppy...almost from the time she could form complete sentences! The older she got, the more earnest her pleas became. So, that year...1995...I finally consented. She just didn't know it yet. I had decided a small, cuddly dog would best suit her (and me, since I knew I would be the primary caretaker and Brittany the primary cuddler). Several weeks before Easter that year, a litter of Shih Tzus was born at a nearby breeder. It seemed like fate. So, I surreptitiously went to scope it out...and I was sold (literally). How could I deny her such an adorable, lovable little creature? I wrote the check and made my arrangements to pick the dog up the day before Easter...which was still about two weeks away. Keeping such an exciting surprise from Brittany was extremely challenging...at best. Each time I looked at her sweet little face, I wanted to pick her up in my arms and shout, "Guess what???" But I waited. And let me tell you, it was worth the wait. I'm not even sure words can describe how priceless that Easter morning was.

After Brittany had fallen asleep that Saturday night, a friend who had been "hiding" the dog for me brought it over in its little kennel. I kept it in the back room so Brittany wouldn't see it right way when she woke up. I placed a huge, stuffed, pink floppy-eared bunny on top of the kennel with a note that read, "Dear Brittany, this is Callie. She's been waiting for you for a very long time! Please take good care of her for me. Love, the Easter Bunny." Then...I waited...again. Thankfully, Callie played along with the ruse because the little thing didn't make a peep all night long.

It was a tradition in our house that every Easter morning I would hide a huge basket for Brittany, which she would immediately scour the house for as soon as her eyes popped open. 1995 was no exception. Once she located the basket and realized what it contained, her little face frowned in frustration. "Mommy, the Easter Bunny made a mistake! This is all dog stuff!" And right on cue, from the back room, little Callie started to whine. A confused but excited look came over Brittany's face and she ran to find the source of the noise. I wish I had been able to record it because the look on her face was priceless. I can still see it just as clearly today as I did 16 years ago. "Mommy!!!! Look!!!" She scooped the little black and white fur ball up in her arms and squealed, "Her name is Callie. Isn't she cute?" That was one of the happiest moments in my life. And I think it was for her, too.  

Happy Easter my beautiful Angel.

I love you Brittany Erin <3




















No comments:

Post a Comment