Thursday, February 17, 2011

Change

"A wife who loses a husband is called a widow. A husband who loses a wife is called a widower. A child who loses his parents is called an orphan. But...there is no word for a parent who loses a child. That's how awful the loss is." (Neugeboren 1976, 154).


I have changed. It was inevitable, I suppose, but I've also realized that many of those around me have changed, too. That's something I wasn't expecting. Very few people mention Brittany's name in my presence which makes me fear that she's been forgotten. "April isn't crying today. It must be a good day. Let's not talk about Brittany." Or, "April is crying again today. It must be a bad day. Let's not talk about Brittany." The truth of the matter is though, I want to talk about Brittany. Hearing her name is like music to my ears. Will it make me cry? Probably. But it might also make me smile. Say her name. I want to hear it. Tell me stories. I want to hear them. But don't be afraid. Don't be afraid of saying the wrong thing. Sometimes your ear or your shoulder is all I need...not words. No one in my immediate circle has ever lost a child. For that matter, most people outside my circle haven't lost a child, either. It's a learning process for everyone and I understand that. What I don't understand, however, is the isolation I often feel. I think people are scared to be around me...scared of making me cry...scared of making me remember...scared of being happy in their own lives. It's ok to be happy around me. It's ok to smile and laugh.

To be fair, I believe my isolation is mostly self-inflicted...maybe because, subconsciously, I try and spare people of that perceived awkwardness by keeping to myself. But more than that, I keep to myself because that's where I am right now. I don't like being out in public...I don't like being in large groups...and I don't like being in malls anymore (gasp!). I can even go days without speaking a single word to anyone besides my husband and son. But my lack of social interaction and voluntary seclusion aren't necessarily indicative of my state of mind that day. It doesn't mean I'm hiding under the covers with a box of tissues crying myself sick (although I still have plenty of days like that). I guess I've become selfish with my grief. That's really the only way I know how to define it. As a result, I have inadvertently shut many people out of my life. My silence has been mistaken for insolence and standoffishness. Please know that is never my intent.

Yes, my heart is broken and I am suffering. Yes, I have changed...but please don't change who you are to me.

3 comments:

  1. April, I didn't know Brittany that well, only met her a few times, and she was sunshine. You write words that bring me to tears. You should seriously write a book! Still praying <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Amanda Hoffman, you probably won't remember me, but I've known Brittany since 5th grade. She spent the night at my house a few times back then and one time even came to church with my family and I. I remember we went on a walk and talked about boys and make up and girl stuff. The last time I saw Brittany was at my friends 20th birthday celebration. I love that girl. She was always SO sweet and in such a positive mood. And I could never stress it enough that she is one of the most beautiful girls I've ever known or seen. I'm so thankful that I hugged her the last time I saw her. I want you to know I keep up with your blogs as well as Brittany's facebook. And that girl is right, you write so well and it's beautiful and I've never NOT cried while reading them. I pray for you everyday and will continue doing so...<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing about eventually turning this into a book! You most definitely have a gift! I did not know Britney but I think about her often. I have a little girl who is 2 which is who I think of when I read your blogs (and also who I think of while I'm crying immensely while reading them). There are times at night when I read your blogs and then go get my daughter from her bed and just hold her while she's sleeping. When I have a bad day with my children, I try to remind myself how precious life is. I will continue to pray for you! I know you will help others on their healing journey and I pray you find peace and comfort in knowing that.

    ReplyDelete